Thursday, September 26, 2013

Happy Birthday Johnny Appleseed

Since I spend a whole week on each theme, this week we will be learning about who Johnny Appleseed was and explore apples. 

We read a fun book about Johnny Appleseed and made a pan hat just like him. I do this with my kids to get them excited for the week ahead:





I collected cereal boxes and cut them into rectangles/squares, and covered them up with foil. I had the children print their name. They helped me staple the pot handle. We measured their heads and reenacted how to plant an apple tree.


For reinforcement on what we've learned, I normally play a short Youtube video, review any songs I've taught them, vocabulary or facts about our theme. 

I haven't met a child who doesn't like to watch movies/TV, so I find this to be an entertaining and effective way to help the children remember about the days activities. Here is a Youtube clip I found and use in my classroom:





Do you teach the children any songs during this unit?

No comments:

Post a Comment